Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Garden of Good and Evil, Redux...

The seedlings are planted. I've yet to order more seed from Diggers, it always overwhelms me a little - I want a packet of everything, and three each of all the plants! One day, when I win lotto right? For now, though, I am most happy with my little 'plot', though I can't help but covet a wee picket fence to keep the girls out, and to give it that cottage kitchen garden feel.


We planted some strawberries and basil under the lemon tree, it looks ever so pretty now, and will only look better when they 'grow up'. So far, everything has their heads up, and you can almost watch the rainbow chard, spinach and silver beet grow. And I can't wait for the snow peas - delish in stir fry. Mouth is watering. The nectarine is in flower now too - a sure sign spring has almost sprung...



How I love stone fruit, let me count the ways...
The girls are well and truly at home now, and I get at least one egg a day. They get crazy excited when they hear someone come home, running up and down the side of the hen house clucking 'let us out'. They're really such a joy! They totally dig the whole dust-bath thang (and apparently a-wet-dirt-almost-mud bath is just as much fun, but three times the mess), but insist on doing it together, in as small a space as possible. What can I say?

Looks like some mutant two-chrysanthemum headed chook, huh?

No comments: